NCAA Betting Odds: Kansas Jayhawks and Texas A&M Aggies
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
by Mike Stewart
No. 5 Kansas Jayhawks must avoid looking ahead to Saturday when it travels to Texas AM Aggies. The Jayhawks, who will play rival Missouri over the weekend with first-place in the Big 12 on the line, have won four straight since falling against the Tigers on Feb. 4.
Before the conference season, this was the matchup forecast to be pivotal atop the league standings, as Kansas and Texas A&M were pegged as the co-favorites to win the Big 12.
The Aggies have stumbled to a 4-10 league record, though, and won’t make an NCAA Tournament appearance without winning the conference tournament in March.
Kansas Jayhawks (22-5): With an 83-50 blowout of Texas Tech on Saturday, the Jayhawks picked up their 1,000th conference victory, the most of any school in the country. The record speaks to the consistency established at Kansas, which has won or shared the Big 12 title in seven straight seasons under coach Bill Self. This season, the Jayhawks are finding success inside with the play of Thomas Robinson (17.7 points, 11.8 rebounds) and Jeff Withey (6.6 rebounds, 3.4 blocks). Guard Tyshawn Taylor’s 16.6 points per game complement the interior duo.
Texas A&M Aggies (13-13): The Aggies’ only conference wins this season are against Texas Tech (twice), Oklahoma and Oklahoma State — the other three schools in the bottom of the Big 12. The problem continues to be on the offensive end, where Texas A&M has topped 70 points only twice in league play and five times all season. Junior forward Khris Middleton — a preseason All-Big 12 selection who has been riddled with injuries — is starting to show signs of picking things up, scoring a team-high 15 points in the Aggies’ loss to Missouri last weekend.
1. Texas A&M (60.2 points) and Kansas (60.4) lead the conference in scoring defense.
2. The Jayhawks beat the Aggies 64-54 on Jan. 23 in Lawrence.
3. Withey has 20 blocked shots in the past three games.
NCAA BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Jayhawks 74, Aggies 50.
- NCAA Big 12 Tournament Picks: Texas AM vs Kansas
- NCAA Championship Game Predictions: Kansas vs Kentucky
- Final Four Predictions & Odds: Ohio State vs Kansas
- 2012 Final Four Matchup Odds: No. 2 Seeds Ohio State vs Kansas
- NCAA Tournament Picks and Tips: Detroit Titans vs Kansas Jayhawks